I was a little down a few days ago, until one of the best things happened to me. It started last Tuesday when my boss asked if I wanted to see some photos of his home that his wife emailed to him. He has great looking property in one of the Atlantic Coast states among mountains. Right now, those mountains are turning red, yellow and orange from autumn leaves. I enjoy fall because of that beauty and so many other things it reminds me of. When I was younger, it meant enjoying football and basketball or upcoming holidays. Moreover, it is just beautiful to look at. I've missed seeing the leaves change while living in New Orleans. So, I would try to visit places in the fall to see the colors in person. But seeing the pictures drove home that I would not get a chance to do that this year. I didn't tell anyone, but I was bumming. (Am I too old to say bumming?)
Five days later, I received a letter from my daughter. She had sent it from college before leaving for Thanksgiving Break. In her four-paged hand-written letter (front and back), she described what she's been up to.
"I cut my hair and died it red," she wrote. "Hey, It's only hair, right? It'll grow back!"
There was another surprise. She got a tattoo on the back of her neck. She knows I'm no fan of tats. (Am I too old to say tats?) Also inside the envelop, seperate from the letter, was another piece of paper folded and taped shut. On the outside she wrote, "I hope they last by the time you get them." When I tore away the tape and unfolded the sheet of paper, a couple dozen wine red leaves spilled onto my bed. She sent me autumn leaves from a tree on her college campus. In addition, the envelop was postmarked the same day that I was bumming after seeing the fall foliage in my boss's pictures. Those leaves were the single best, unsolicited items that anyone has ever sent me since being deployed. That is among one of the best things anyone has ever done.
At that moment, I forgot about missing fall or being a little down. More importantly, I realized that no matter how many shades of colors daughter's hair may turn or how much body art she may end up getting, I know that her heart is in the right place. And she'll bring joy to this sometimes crazy world. And that's one less worry I'll have while I'm away.

2 comments:
What a wonderful post! Awesome daughter you have. Thanks for sharing the updates and we are all thankful that everyone is OK. Our leaves are all fallen from our trees now. They are all gathered into piles in front of the house and covered by the first light snow fall. The crisp fall days have given way to the colder gray days of winter. But there is always the hope of spring and summer and then home for you! Sending our support and prayers for the safety of all our troops.
Kids are the BEST!!! they can be some of the most compassionate people in the world and, as you have experienced, can make us laugh, cry and be brave in our times of need.
Hold on to the thoughts of family, good friends and most important GOD to help you get through these tough times.
Make sure to keep your AABJ family posted on how you're doing and how things REALLY are over there.
All the best,
Sharon
Post a Comment