I'm back from my war vacation, and I did something that I haven't done in weeks. I slept in my hooch! For those of you who don't know, my hooch is my FEMA trailer-esque room that seems like it could blow over with a hard wind. The last time I slept in it was Easter Sunday, March 23, 2008). For two months, I slept in the palace, under a hardened roof, during heavier than normal rocket attacks on the International Zone. I wasn't the only one. But things quieted considerably while I was away. So, I'm back to the hooch. (Don't tell my mom!!! Ha ha!!)
This comes after being away on "leave" from the IZ for about 22 days. My leave was 15 days. I spent the other nine days traveling to and from the U.S. I had one free day that didn't count toward my leave! And, I had the most relaxing, pleasant time with family. I knew I would see my parents and kids. Other than that, I didn't plan anything specific. I made it up as I went along. I took a slow and relaxing drive from New Orleans to Pennsylvania to see my mother on Mother's Day, hung out with mom and dad, and spent the majority of the time with my sons. I had forgotten how much fun it is to help with homework. I visited my daughter in college and saw her latest hair color - green! But overall, it was really low key. I'll upload some pictures soon. But now it is back to the grind for what should be about 18 more Sundays to go. (I did a quick count on my fingers!)

No comments:
Post a Comment